Marrow Soup Recipe
Veterinarian Reviewed on September 23, 2011 by Dr. Janice Huntingford
This recipe is compliments of Dr. Connie DiNatalie and is for old and recovering Senior Pets. It is great for recovery from illnesses for younger pets as well.
- Roast an Organic Chicken in the oven at 375 until well cooked.
- Add any veggies you like and some spices like Rosemary, Parsley, Garlic Powder.
- Remove the meat from the chicken bones–the caregiver can eat this with whatever veggies you also cooked.
- Crack all the bones and place in a large soup pot and cover with water.
- To the water add 1/4 cup of vinegar.
- Carrots, celery squash and beets are acidifying and help draw minerals from the bones. You can add up to 1 cup of each.
- Cook the bones over low heat for 4 to 8 hours.
- Strain out the broth and throw away the bones and cooked vegetables.
There you have it, bone marrow soup! A healthy pet food for your senior loved one. Feed the broth to debilitated animals to restore health. It can be frozen in ice cube trays and defrosted and warmed as well as added to other foods.
Janice Huntingford, DVM, has been in veterinary practice for 28 years and has founded two veterinary clinics since receiving her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine at the Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph. She has studied extensively in both conventional and holistic modalities. Ask Dr. Jan