on January 13, 2016
Posted in Preventative Care
Ethylene glycol targets the kidneys and causes acute kidney failure. Some of the symptoms are:
- Drunken behavior
- Wobbly, uncoordinated movement
- Excessive urination
- Rapid heart beat
- Seizures/Convulsions/Shaking tremors
Unfortunately these signs can be indicative of many other things, so a thorough examination by your veterinarian including blood and urine testing are advised. A Woods Lamp may be used to see if the pet’s urine fluoresces under the black light. Although commercial test kits are available to diagnosis the toxin, they are frequently not available.
Treatment for antifreeze toxicity is supportive. Although there is a specific antidote called fomepizole, it is not recommended in cats and is quite expensive. It is also not readily available. Your veterinarian will place your pet on fluids and give medications to stop the symptoms until the body deals with this toxin.
The best way to treat this toxicity is to prevent it from occurring in the first place.
Here are some ways to prevent antifreeze toxicity:
- Keep antifreeze in tightly sealed containers.
- Do not spill antifreeze and if you do , clean it up immediately.
- Dispose of used containers properly.
- Check your vehicle for antifreeze leaks regularly.
- Do not allow your dog to wander in areas where antifreeze may be.
- Switch to “Pet-friendly” antifreeze that is propylene glycol. Small amounts of propylene glycol are not toxic to dogs or cats.
HAVE YOU EVER SEEN THIS IN YOUR DOG OR CAT?
Sign up for our newsletter and receive more articles and the latest pet health updates and special offers.
Janice Huntingford, DVM, has been in veterinary practice for over 30 years and has founded two veterinary clinics since receiving her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine at the Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph. She has studied extensively in both conventional and holistic modalities. Ask Dr. Jan