How To Keep Pet Fit – Exercise Tips
Veterinarian Reviewed on February 8, 2010 by Dr. Janice Huntingford
Posted in Cats
- The Stairs: Unless you have a dachsund (these guys should not be running up and down stairs), kitties and dawgs can get great benefit by climbing! Sit at the top of your stairs and throw a bouncing toy to the bottom, and let your pet play fetch.
- The Stalk: Kitties love to stalk, even more than they love to talk (meyowls). Something as simple as a piece of string pulled down a hallway can make a cat go crazy. Try it! Just watch your heels – them claws are NASTY.
- The Chase: We pets LOVE to play chase! Let us chase you around the house, and then just as we’re about to catch you turn on us – watch us jump and scamper!
- The Pull: This is perfect for larger dogs. Grab a rope, and sit on your floor (avoid carpets for this one, yaw’ll). Let your dog grab the other end of the rope, and pull you! Great exercise.
- The Intelli-Hide: We pets love to find things, especially: treats! Try hiding dry food in a cardboard box, with the lid folded in on itself. don’t use tape-dangerous! Punch a few holes in the side, so we can get a good sniff. Watch us figure out how to get at it, using our brains and our braun!
Keep us happy, healthy and hopping, with fun indoor exercises. Hey, we’re not the only ones who can do push-ups and sit-ups during commercial breaks!
Sign up for our newsletter and receive more articles and the latest pet health updates and special offers.
Janice Huntingford, DVM, has been in veterinary practice for over 30 years and has founded two veterinary clinics since receiving her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine at the Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph. She has studied extensively in both conventional and holistic modalities. Ask Dr. Jan