Sweet Potato Brittle – Treats for Dogs with Food Allergies
Veterinarian Reviewed on November 24, 2012 by Dr. Janice Huntingford
Posted in Dogs
This is my favorite recipe for sweet potato treats for dogs with food allergies.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork and bake them in a 350 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Hollow out the sweet potatoes and mash and mix with olive oil. You may add extra if they do not get really creamy.
- Place baking paper on a cookie sheet and spread the mash over the sheet about 3/4 of an inch thick. Make the edges a bit thicker as they tend to burn.
- Bake this at 300 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes — do not let it burn.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
That’s it! A great treat for a dog with food allergies. Break off pieces and store in an airtight container for preservation.
Sign up for our newsletter and receive more articles and the latest pet health updates and special offers.
Janice Huntingford, DVM, has been in veterinary practice for over 30 years and has founded two veterinary clinics since receiving her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine at the Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph. She has studied extensively in both conventional and holistic modalities. Ask Dr. Jan