Household Dangers for Your Pet

Most people can think of many dangers that might lurk outdoors for their pets but many people do not realize that there are many indoor dangers for their pets as well. Commonly used products like bleach, all-purpose cleaners and other disinfectants can cause chemical burns on pets’ skin and can be toxic if ingested. Pets often come into contact with cleaners after the bottle spills on them or they walk on a freshly washed floor or bathtub. Dogs or cats that walk on these types of surfaces can get burns on their paws. Also, when they lick their paws or fur it can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus. The best way to prevent such burns is to make sure that surfaces are completely dry before letting pets on them and to tightly recap cleaning product bottles after using them and do not forget to put such products where pets can’t get to them.

All dogs are prone to chewing on objects and puppies have even more of a tendency to do this. They may even chew on cleaning product bottles. The best thing to do is make sure that all cleaning products are put away and out of reach of pets. And, always remember to read the warning labels and instructions on all household cleansers before using them.

Dogs sometimes get into the medications belonging to their owners with disastrous results. Human pain medications, like tylenol and ibuprofen can cause liver failure and severe vomiting in dogs and cats. If you think your pet has eaten some medication, call the veterinarian immediately. Be sure to know what your pet has ingested and how much. Sometimes your veterinarian may recommend to induce vomiting before going to the veterinary hospital. Be sure to have hydrogen peroxide in your pet’s emergency kit just for this reason.

Some human foods can be dangerous to pets as well. Foods such as chocolate, raisins, grapes, onions and macadamia nuts top the list. Garlic can also be a problem if given in large amounts. The biggest problem is having a pet that surfs through the trash can looking for a snack. Keep all garbage containers out of the reach of your pet!

Other common household dangers that owners might not think about are things like electrical cords, batteries, cigarettes and certain houseplants. Electrical cords can be especially hazardous to young pets who like to chew on things. If a pet gets a hold of batteries, the battery acid can burn their mouths and be toxic if ingested. Common houseplants like philodendron, dieffenbachia and lilies are also toxic to pets if ingested. Lilies can be especially dangerous to cats–even the pollen of a lily can be harmful if it falls on a cat’s fur and is then licked off.

If something like this happens to your pet, call your local veterinarian or veterinary emergency hospital immediately and follow instructions. It is a good idea to have those phone numbers as well the number for your area’s poison control for pets. Prevention of accidents and poisoning is easy with a little foresight and planning!

Recent Posts

Archived Posts