How to Beat Cushing's Disease!
Cushing's disease results from an excess of adrenal gland hormones. It is a common side-effect of drugs such as corticosteroids, which are often prescribed to treat canine arthritis, allergies and other ailments. Cushing's disease can also result from a benign tumor on one of the adrenal glands or the pituitary gland.
Symptoms of Cushing's disease include:
- Increased thirst and appetite
- Frequent urination
- Loss of hair
- Skin problems
- High blood pressure
- Increased susceptibility to infections
If left untreated, Cushing's disease can lead to other conditions like diabetes and heart problems.
Traditional Western Therapies
Note: Your dog's Cushing’s could be caused by a corticosteroid drug - it may be possible to wean your dog off the drug, however this must be performed under professional supervision to avoid complications. You can speak to your vet about this. Corticosteroids sometimes have side effects that are worse than the condition they were used to treat, and make your dog more susceptible to bacterial and viral infections. Every day, we get calls from customers looking for an alternative to steroid drugs.
Antineoplastic drugs - During its evaluation as an insecticide, a leading antineoplastic drug was discovered to have adrenocorticolytic effects. The most obvious and rapid response is a reduction in water intake, urine output, and appetite, which usually occur at the end of the initial course of therapy. Muscle strength and exercise tolerance improve over the first 3-4 weeks. Skin and hair coat changes take longer and the progress is variable. After the first re-evaluation, rechecks should be scheduled every 3-6 months for the rest of the pet’s life to determine whether the dose needs to be adjusted depending on the results of ACTH response testing. Overall, based on the results of three survival studies, the mean survival time of canines with pituitary-dependent Cushing’s disease, that were treated with this drug, is 24 to 30 months with a total range of 1 day to 13 years.
Surgery - If your dog's Cushing's disease was caused by a tumor, surgery might be an option. Only your vet is qualified to consult with about this option.
3-beta-hydroxysteroid-dehydrogenase drugs - These drugs have been shown to be an effective treatment for canine and feline Cushing’s syndrome. These are a synthetic, orally active steroid analogue. They act as a competitive inhibitor of the 3β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenate enzyme system and thereby inhibit the synthesis of cortisol and aldosterone as well as other steroids. The blockade is reversible and appears to be dose-related.
A word from our veterinarian:
It is important to note that long-term use of corticosteroid drugs (usually prescribed for inflammatory discomfort such as skin allergy or arthritis) can result in a rebound effect and excess production of cortisol by the adrenal glands can ensue. Excessive production of cortisol can also be caused by a tumor, either of the pituitary or the adrenal glands.
What is Adrenal Harmony Gold?
Adrenal Harmony Gold was developed by our holistic veterinarians to support adrenal gland function. The therapeutic actions of the ingredients are: adaptogenic, antioxidant and will support the nervous system. These herbs are particularly suited to supporting the adrenal glands and its functions, but some of them also exert an effect on the pituitary and hypothalamus glands. "Adaptogens" are a classification of herbs considered to support the adrenals, helping the body adapt naturally to stressors and produce normal, healthy levels of cortisol. Unlike drugs, adaptogens will not stimulate or depress adrenal function but, rather, help the adrenals normalize their hormone production. Antioxidants counter oxidative (free radical) damage that can lead to degeneration.
Together, the ingredients in Adrenal Harmony Gold target key cellular mechanisms to keep the adrenal and anterior pituitary hormones in a healthy and normal balance. Part of the resulting benefits of the formula are normally calm moods and ability to relax and sleep.
What is Adrenal Harmony Gold used for?
Adrenal glands play a vital role in the health of your pet. The adrenal glands are two small glands situated on top of each kidney and they are involved in a multitude of physiological processes. The hypothalamus and pituitary glands are responsible for sending messages to the adrenals so they can secrete the right amount of hormones and maintain equilibrium within the body.
Some of the main adrenal gland functions are to:
- Help the body respond to stress and inflammation through their production of corticosteroid hormones.
- Play an important role in regulating water and electrolyte balance (affects urine output and thirst).
- Produce hormones that affect blood sugar (affects appetite).
Adrenal Harmony Gold targets the HPA (hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal) axis to strengthen the body's internal feedback mechanisms. This in turn, can affect areas of the body influenced by the adrenal glands.
Can my dog take Adrenal Harmony Gold with medications?
Do not give Adrenal Harmony Gold if your pet is taking blood-thinners. A veterinarian who has performed a complete medical check of your dog can help to establish safety of medications taken with other products or specific diets.
Does it come with a guarantee?
Yes! Adrenal Harmony Gold comes with a 90-day, money-back guarantee.
Why choose Adrenal Harmony Gold for your canine friend?
- Certified organic and ethically wild-harvested: Our formulas are entirely prepared from organically grown and ethically wild-harvested herbs.
- Good Manufacturing Practices: All of our formulas are manufactured in a facility that adheres to Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Full Sprectrum Extract: The full biochemical spectrum of the herbs is preserved to ensure the potency of the extract. All raw materials are tested for identification and purity.
- Every batch tested: Every batch of our Adrenal Harmony Gold is tested to ensure the highest quality and potency. Every single batch.
- FDA-Registered Facility: Our manufacturing facility is FDA-registered. Strict quality control procedures are meticulously monitored.
- FDA Center for Veterinary Medicine Guidelines: PetWellbeing.com complies with the provisions of the CVM's good guidance practices for pet dietary supplements. All ingredients and caution statements adhere to these national guidelines.
- It's Guaranteed: In addition to the superior quality of our products, you are also protected by our 90120-day moneyback guarantee.
Who makes Adrenal Harmony Gold?
Adrenal Harmony Gold is made by PetWellbeing.com, founded in 2001. Our goal? To bring the wisdom and experience of our caring holistic veterinarians to your pet. When your pet is healthy; you're happy.
To fulfill our vision, our on-staff, holistic veterinarians have developed formulas using time-honored, traditional uses of herbs, and integrated the latest scientific research. It is our aim to produce the best products for your pet that we can.