Foods You Should Never Give Your Pet!!

on May 21, 2011
Posted in Cats

1 . Grapes and Raisins- Grapes have been deemed a toxic food resulting in very sick animals. Although the actual quantity may vary with each animal it’s in your best interest to stay clear away from grapes altogether.

2 . Onions and Garlic– A small amount of Garlic is OK but this family of vegetables contain a substance known as N-propyl disulphide which can cause anemia. This substance is known to have a terrible impact on red blood cells; which can cause a syndrome known as Heinz Body Anemia. Never feed onions!

3 . Nightshade vegetables (Solanacea family) – Tomatoes, Peppers, Eggplant, White Potato – This family of plants contains a poisonous alkaloid called Glycoalkaloid Solanine which can wreak havoc on the lower gastrointestinal tract, causing your pet to become violently ill.

4 . Avocado – The leaves, seeds, fruit and even the tree can be toxic. The avocado contains a substance called persin which can affect the heart, lungs and other tissues within the body causing vomiting, diarrhea or worse. Some animals can eat avocado without incident but better safe than sorry!

5. Macadamia Nuts – Macadamia nuts contain an unknown substance that can cause problems in dogs. Within three to 12 hours of eating macadamia nuts, a dog may begin showing symptoms such as lethargy, hyperthermia and vomiting.

6 . Milk – Although milk in very small amounts won’t hurt your cat it could lead to a very upset stomach, and gassiness. Cats are known to be lactose intolerant.

7 . Chocolate/Cocoa – This can result in big trouble in your dog or cat. Chocolate contains 2 substances that are bad for your pet: Caffeine and Theobromine. The later substance is what can be considered extremely toxic to dogs and cats. For more information, see our article on Chocolate, posted at Easter!

8. Xylitol – Sugar-free candies, mints, gum and baked goods, as well as some toothpastes, dental floss and chewable vitamins, can contain the sweetener xylitol. This sugar substitute is very dangerous for animals. Just 100 mg of xylitol per kg of body weight can cause a rapid release of insulin in a dog, resulting in a sudden decrease in blood glucose. This hypoglycemia can occur within 15 minutes of eating the xylitol-containing product, though the symptoms — including depression, vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures and coma — may take up to 30 minutes to appear. It is possible that some dogs will suffer fatal liver failure when exposed to higher doses of xylitol, so be careful to keep all items containing the sweetener out of your pet’s reach.topodinноутбуки в

Read also: Important Tips for Cat Owners

Our Expert

Dr. Janice Huntingford
Janice Huntingford, DVM, has been in veterinary practice for over 30 years and has founded two veterinary clinics since receiving her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine at the Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph. She has studied extensively in both conventional and holistic modalities. Ask Dr. Jan

Related Posts