Recipe for Homemade Cat Food
on September 30, 2011
Posted in Cats
Below is a recipe for homemade cat food that should work especially well for cats who suffer from constipation. If your cat is constipated only 30% of the meat should be raw. If you use fish, all the fish must be cooked. Do not neglect the Taurine as cats require this for vision and heart health.
- 1 cup of millet or barley
- 1 whole organic egg
- 2 pounds of ground rabbit, turkey or chicken OR 2 lbs of Mackerel or white fish
- 4 oz of chicken livers
- 2 tablespoons of bonemeal or 5000 mg of calcium
- 2000 mg of Taurine or substitute a chewable Taurine tablet daily
- 2 tsp of Psyllium husk powder
- 400IU of Vitamin E
- 10000 IU of VitaminA
- 500 mg of Wild Salmon Oil
- Light salt ( with potassium chloride) 1/2 tsp
- B Vitamins- Multivitamin or Amino-B-Plex 1ml
- 1 teaspoon of fresh vegetable with every meal (Optional)
Some cats will not eat this with barley or millet. In that case replace with veggies.
- Cook millet or barley in 3 cups of boiling water, simmering 30 minutes .
- Add the egg, meat, chicken livers to the boiling barley for the last 15 minute of cooking.
- When the millet is soft stir in the rest of the ingredients and serve
This will yield about 7-1/2 cups at 425 calories per cup. 1/2 cup should be fed per 10 lbs of the pet’s body weight.
If constipation is an issue and this diet does not correct it, try adding inulin (chickory root) at 1 tsp per feeding or guar gum at 1/8 tsp per 3.5 oz of food
Sign up for our newsletter and receive more articles and the latest pet health updates and special offers.
Janice Huntingford, DVM, has been in veterinary practice for over 30 years and has founded two veterinary clinics since receiving her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine at the Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph. She has studied extensively in both conventional and holistic modalities. Ask Dr. Jan