Chicken and Potato Diet Recipe
on April 1, 2012
Posted in Dogs
Here is a recipe for a Chicken and Potato diet that would work well for dogs with kidney disease. The idea is to watch the phosphorus balance in the diet for these dogs. You can substitute turkey or lean ground beef if your dog prefers and barley if you do not like potato.
- 1/4 cup cooked chicken breast
- 3 cups potato, boiled with skin or 3 cups of cooked barley
- 2 tablespoons chicken fat
- 4 oz Portobello Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of steamed veggies (carrots and peas are fine)
- 1 1/2 calcium carbonate tablets (600 milligrams calcium)
- 1/2 multiple vitamin-mineral tablet
Provides 689 kilocalories, 18.9 grams protein, and 26.8 grams fat
Supports the caloric needs of a 21-22 pound dog.
Sign up for our newsletter and receive more articles and the latest pet health updates and special offers.
Janice Huntingford, DVM, has been in veterinary practice for over 30 years and has founded two veterinary clinics since receiving her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine at the Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph. She has studied extensively in both conventional and holistic modalities. Ask Dr. Jan